Copper cookware set can be an expensive choice for you but it is also rewarding. First copper is a one of the best conductor of heat reducing energy consumption and cooking time substantially. Second the traditional look enhances the overall interior décor of your kitchen. As the cookware sets belonged to this material are very expensive so you need to pass through a comprehensive buying process to get a collection of pots and pans that worth the price you pay for them. So in this best copper bottom cookware sets review we will limit our discussion to only those pots and pans collections that come with premium quality features as well as the price that is not too much for your budget.
Best 4 Copper Cookware Sets…
The Overall Best: Our Top Pick
- Lagostina Martellata Hammered Copper 10-Piece Cookware Set
The Best Investment
- Matfer Bourgeat 8-Piece Copper Cookware Set
The Best mid Price Range
- Calphalon Tri-Ply Copper 10-Piece Cookware Set
The Best on Budget
- T-fal Ultimate Stainless Steel Copper Bottom 13-Piece Cookware Set
Copper cookware sets are loved for their exceptional glamour and sense of aesthetic. But this beauty spell has a price. Copper pots and pans are comparatively very expensive when compared to stainless steel, aluminum and cast iron cookware sets. Furthermore the maintenance of copper cookware also needs money to be spent on.
Another bad factor associated with it is that these pots and pans are not dishwasher safe. You have to wash all the pieces by hand. You can’t directly place the pieces without properly drying them. Because the water drops can create unpleasant spotting as well as can discolor the cookware.
And to keep the shiny surface of the copper cookware intact and prevent rust you need to regularly polish them.
Although copper cookware sets are expensive but the benefits you will get worth the price. The following are some unmatched benefits other materials made cookware sets lacking:
- Heating Efficiency: you can save substantial amount of time as well as energy because of the faster heating property of this metal. Stainless steel, cast iron and aluminum can’t beat copper cookware sets as far as fast heating is concerned. You can warm the ingredients quickly saving a lot of time and energy.
- Uniform Heat Flow across the Cooking Surface: this even heat distribution feature substantially reduces uneven heat flow across the cooking pan so there is less chances of hotspots developments. Hotspots can kill the quality of your cooked food. Hot spots lead to unwanted results such as uneven cooking, burnt or stuck food.
- Quick Response to Change in Temperature: this property is extremely useful when you are cooking food on heat source such as gas stovetops. Quick response to change in temperature especially becomes relevant when you are cooking foods such as seafood, fish, chocolate, caramel and sauces.
- Temperature Control Precision: this property is especially important when you are doing foods with delicate ingredients such as fish and sea foods. It also plays a vital role for smooth cooking when you are using electric cook top.
The Overall Best: Our Top Pick
Lagostina Martellata Hammered Copper 10-Piece Cookware Set
Lagostina Martellata Hammered Copper cookware set comes with generous number of pieces. The 10 pieces set includes the below pots and pans:
- 8-inch skillet
- 10-inch skillet
- 2-quart saucepan with lid
- 3-quart saucepan with lid
- 3-quart deep sauté pan with lid
- And a 6-quart stockpot with lid
The copper cookware set from Lagostina Materllata comes with triple metal construction. The triple metal construction with an aluminum core ensures even distribution of heat across the cooking surface.
The pots and pans are made of copper exterior, aluminum core and stainless steel interior. Each layer is well cladded for regulating temperature and ensures even distribution of heat across the cooking space. The pots and pans warm up and cool down rapidly. The cookware set is compatible with gas, ceramic and electric stovetops. It is both oven and broiler safe. Despite of its excellent working features its price is reasonable.
The Lagostina Martellata 10 Piece Cookware Set looks gorgeous. Its hammered rustic appearance adds a touch of elegance and warmth to your kitchen and family table. The polished stainless steel lids of cookware set is not heavy, bit lighter in weight when compared to pots and pans. The pots and pans come with riveted stainless steel handles, best to work for entire lifespan of the set.
Another life easing feature you will find in this collection of pans and pots is the shape of rim. The perfectly shaped rim of each piece ensures a drip free pouring.
Like other copper made cookware sets Lagostina Martellata Hammered Copper 10 Piece Set needs polishing and hand washing. But majority of users have positive feedback about how easy is the cleaning and maintenance of this cookware set.
- Great heat regulation
- Quick response to change in temperature
- Work on different stovetops
- Beautiful hammered copper finish
- Easy to clean
- Lightweight lids
- Exterior layer of copper is not thick
- Not compatible with induction stovetop
The Best Investment
Matfer Bourgeat 8-Piece Copper Cookware Set
The cookware set is crafted in France. It is elegant, sturdy and takes your cooking experience to next level. In this collection of pots and pans you will get the following pieces:
- 9 1/2-inch casserole with lid
- 7 1/8-inch saucepan with lid
- 9 1/2-inch flared sauté pan with lid
- And an 11-inch heavy sauté pan with lid
Matfer Bourgeat copper 8 piece cookware set is traditionally made for modern kitchen. 2.5 millimeter of pure red thick copper is fused to .10 millimeter thick 18/10 stainless steel so each piece of the set performs excellently well. The cookware set is durable and ensures even heat flow across the cooking space.
The pots and pans are equipped with cast iron and brass handles well built and hand riveted for an artisan look. The set is durable, there are longtime users having this set for more than a decade while still in good shape and excellent working mode. They recommend this set over other high end brands’ products. They praise it for its simple structure, beautiful design and exceptional craftsmanship.
It is a cookware set you can trust for its reliable thermal energy conductivity. It distributes heat evenly across the cooking space ensures even and well cooked results. There is less tendency for buildup of hotspots so there is no under/overcooked results. Each piece of the cookware set comes with smooth interior surface, it heats up quickly so there is no hot spots and no food burning as well as sticking.
The current users also expressed their views positively as far as the cleaning of the pots and pans is concerned. The red copper exterior should be polished with a soft cloth to maintain the original elegant look.
The pots and pans are compatible with all stovetops except induction.
- Simple yet elegant design, a beautiful addition to your kitchen interior décor
- Superb performance, even heat flow, not hotspots, no over/under cooked results
- Quick response to change in temperature
- Heavy for some users
- Expensive but worth the price
The Best mid Price Range
Calphalon Tri-Ply Copper 10-Piece Cookware Set
It is not too expensive when compared to abovementioned Matfer Bourgeat copper 8 piece cookware set but still not cheap. Calphalon Tri-Ply Copper 10-Piece Cookware Set is an ideal for home cook who are not ready to spend generously on copper pots and pans but still want to have this beauty in their kitchen arsenal.
There is no need to spend thousands of dollars for getting a quality copper cookware set. If you are looking for a quality copper cookware set but still don’t want to break your bank account then Calphalon Tri-Ply Copper 10-Piece Cookware Set is the best option to consider.
In this 10 piece cookware set you get the following pieces:
- 8-inch omelet pan
- 10-inch omelet pan
- 5-quart saucepan with cover
- 5-quart saucepan with lid
- 3-quart sauté pan with cover
- And a 6-quart stockpot with lid.
Each piece you will get in this copper cookware set comes with heavy gauge aluminum core sandwiched between brushed copper exterior and a fine stainless steel interior. The company of heavy gauge aluminum and copper produces excellent thermal conduction. So there are not hotspots and even distribution of heat for perfect cooking experience.
This triply cladding formula works best for foods depending on strong control over temperature. While the brushed stainless steel interior wouldn’t react with foods so you can cook all types of food even one with very acidic nature.
It is broiler and oven safe. The unique feature of this copper Calphalon cookware set is its compatibility with all heat sources. This feature is only true for stainless steel cookware sets. Stainless steel cookware sets are compatible with all stovetops. But this copper cookware set provides its users with amazing freedom to cook food on any cook tops. So if your kitchen is equipped with induction stovetop obstructing you from equipping your kitchen with copper cookware set then you will find it just a perfect choice.
The pots and pans come with stainless steel lightweight ergonomic handles. They stay cool on stovetop. They double riveted, rust resistant and ensure to stay as it throughout the lifespan of your cookware set.
The flared rims of the pots and pans provide the easy way to mess free pouring.
The product is positively reviewed by majority of its users. However some users say, “They put this copper cookware set in dishwasher”. But the manufacturer doesn’t recommended dishwasher cleaning. Hand washing is recommended to preserve the lustrous copper exterior intact.
Overall the cleaning was not a big issue for most of the users. But there are some users who complained about sticky food on the interiors and also do not happy about spots and discoloration on the pots and pans exterior. But as far as the spots and discoloration is concerned it might be due to not drying the cookware after washing. Water drops can create spots and discolor the copper cookware. We recommend drying the pots and pans after washing and keeping them in moisture free area. The handles of the set come with holes for hanging so you can hang them to walls of the kitchen it will not only protect the cookware from moisture but also spare the kitchen precious space for other pots, pans, appliances and accessories.
- Rapid response to change in temperature
- Compatible with all stovetops even induction cook top
- Even heat distribution because of triply aluminum, copper and stainless steel construction
- Precise temperature control best for delicate nature food
- Stay cool handles
- Food sticking, not working smoothly as like nonstick cookware sets
- If you don’t dry the pots and pans thoroughly it can lead to exterior copper spotting and discoloration
The Best on Budget
T-fal Ultimate Stainless Steel Copper Bottom 13-Piece Cookware Set
If you are just interested in reaping the benefits of copper but not ready to invest your hard earned money into full-fledged copper cookware set then T-fal Ultimate Stainless Steel Copper Bottom 13-Piece Cookware Set.
The cookware exterior is not fully copper clad as like the abovementioned products but the bottom has a layer of copper for enhanced thermal conductivity.
It is inexpensive, easy to use and clean. Another great feature of this collection of pots and pans is its generous number of pieces. The detail of 13 pieces is:
- 8 inches fry pan
- 5 inches fry pan
- 12 inches fry pan with lid
- 1 quart saucepan with cover
- 2 quart saucepan with lid
- 3 quart saucepan with cover
- 5 quart Dutch oven with lid
- And stainless steel steamer basket
Each piece included in this copper cookware set except the steam basket is made of three layers of stainless steel and thick gauge aluminum core. The thick gauge aluminum core is sandwiched between two layers of stainless steel. There is copper disc at bottom of the pots and pans. There are five copper lines in star shape. This company of copper and aluminum core is highly heat efficient and effective. The combination of copper disc and aluminum core conducts heat effectively as well as ensures even and quick heating. The stainless steel layer enhances the lifespan of the cookware.
The tempered glass lids are highly heat resistant so there is no cracking and spotting even on high temperature. The glass lid allows viewing of the food ingredients without the hassle of lifting it so there is not loss of heat, moisture and flavor. There is useful vent hole to allow the steam to escape and preventing liquid from boiling.
The riveted handles are made out of stainless steel. They are sturdy but become hot on stovetop.
This copper cookware is compatible with all stovetops including induction. As we know copper cookware are not compatible with induction. But this cookware set offers this unique feature. If your kitchen is fitted with induction cook top or you have a plan to have it in future then you can buy this copper cladded cookware set without thinking about whether it will work or not on induction stovetop.
But this cookware set also comes with some limitation because of the partial copper based construction. Partial copper formula saves you substantial amount of money but it will also prevent you from enjoying the benefits of fully clad cooper cookware sets. The copper is only present at bottom of the pots/pans but don’t covering the walls of them as well. So due this partial copper cladding there is also not perfect heat conductivity as in the case of fully cladded pots and pans.
The copper clad in this cookware set also has the issue of spotting and discoloration. Spotting and discoloration is more common here than fully clad two premium cookware set mentioned above.
Dishwasher use is not recommended for this copper cookware set.
- Low price, don’t break your bank and an affordable choice for those chefs interested in exploiting the superb heat conductivity of copper but don’t ready to put an extra burden on their wallet.
- Rapid response to change in temperature
- Compatible with all cook tops including induction stovetops
- Even heating
- Fast heat up save time and energy
- Vented glass lids let to monitor the cooking process
- Copper discolor despite of extra care
- Copper disc comes off easily
- No lids for frying pans
- surfaces can stain but can be cleaned easily
How to Buy a Copper Cookware Set?
As mentioned in above paragraphs copper cookware sets are very expensive than stainless steel or nonstick or other metal made pots and pans collection. But despite of high price, it is also rewarding. So because of the high price tag you need to search it thoroughly to get a product is in true sense a copper cookware set. So for your convenience we explain the attributes you need to pay attention to buy a product well deserve the price you pay for.
- Construction: in market you will find the copper cookware set in different forms. Manufacturer charges price according to the intensity of copper in cookware set. If a set has more copper then you will definitely pay more dollars for it. So you will find the copper cookware sets in following forms:
- Overall copper with stainless steel interior
- Aluminum core, copper and stainless steel
- Copper core, a thick layer of copper is sandwiched between different metals
- Copper Layer Thickness: the ideal copper cookware must have a thickness of this metal in between 2.5MM to 3MM. You can still enjoy the benefits of this metal if your cookware comes with 2MM thickness. But anything lower than this threshold will drastically affect the performance of cookware in your kitchen. A thickness more than 3MM makes the copper pots and pans less responsive to change in temperature and heat.
- Durability: copper cookware sets are expensive so you will be looking for pots and pans that stand up to regular use and washes. The good news that all the cookware sets we reviewed in this article carry a lifetime warranty.
- Finish: copper cookware sets are available in different finish lustrous (shiny) vs. brushed (matte) surface. You have freedom to select a cookware set best suits your kitchen interior décor settings such as hammered or smooth finish.
- Number of Pieces: number of pieces also affects your buying process. A set with more pieces are expensive. So it is totally depend on your target pots and pans you are looking for your kitchen. You should thoroughly check the quality of product if you are getting too many pieces with low price.
- Price: price is another barometer to check the quality of the product. If the price too high then your must check how many pieces you are getting for the money and if that makes worth it. If the product is tagged with low price then you should check how much copper is actually used in manufacturing of the cookware and also the quality of pots and pans.
How to Use Copper Cookware Set?
If you want your copper cookware set stays in good shape for long time then follow these tips:
- Before starting the cooking process, you should prepare everything such as ingredients and the tools needed. It is necessary because copper heats up very quickly so it doesn’t allow your time as like other metals made pots and pans. So it is advised you have already ingredients and utensils ready for instant use.
- Copper cookware interior is not scratch free. Metals made utensils are not recommended. We always recommend wooden, silicone or nylon made utensils for copper cookware sets.
- As already mentioned copper heats up very quickly so there is no need for preheating. If you preheat the pan, you can burn or melt it. For safe cooking it is recommended to pour cooking oil, fat or liquid into the pan or pot before placing it on hot stovetop.
- As we know copper is an excellent conductor of heat. It is highly heat efficient. You need to use only half the heat level you had use for other metals such as stainless steel made pot or pan.
How to Clean Copper Cookware Sets?
You can use a mixture of salt and vinegar for cleaning copper made pots and pans. Apply a mixture of salt and vinegar with help sponge or soft rag and leave it for about 10 minutes. Then rinse the cookware and thoroughly dry each piece to avoid spotting and discoloration; or
Cut a lemon half then sprinkle some table salt. Then rub this lemon half against the copper surface especially target those areas with spots and discoloration. After this exercise rinse and dry the cookware.